May 6, 2019
Today marks the start of Teacher Appreciation Week.
Whether you are an educator yourself, in schools every day, or it has been a while since you spent time in our city’s classrooms, this is a great moment to check out the work of local teachers. We are proud to release these videos of two great New Orleans educators, Asya Howlett and Hope Lee Loughran:
Celebrating educators like Asya, Hope, and their colleagues makes a difference. Research findings are no surprise: teachers who feel appreciated are more likely to stay in the field.
At NSNO, our strategy for teacher recruitment and retention is complex, but we provide a simple way for local businesses to take part and show they appreciate teachers year round. Since the launch of TeachNewOrleans.net this December, we have welcomed coffee shops, restaurants, gyms and more to post teacher discounts to the site – which has had 20,000 visitors so far. This lagniappe stays listed on TeachNewOrleans.net for teachers to use anytime, but Teacher Appreciation Week has ushered in even more perks.
Thanks to the immense generosity of our community, teachers can enter to win gift certificates from:
- Commander’s Palace ($125)
- Galatoire’s ($100)
- The Link Restaurant Group (Herbsaint, Cochon, Butcher, Calcasieu, Peche, or La Boulangerie) ($100)
- Art & Eyes ($200)
- Warbucks ($50)
- The Olive Branch Cafe ($25)
- Urban South Brewery ($25)
- Miel Brewery & Taproom ($30)
- Port Orleans Brewing Co. (Two free beers and an appetizer)
- Live it! Lifestyle (Free strategy session)
- Prime Fitness RX Gym (Free three-month membership)
Special Teacher-Appreciation-Week-only deals include:
- $3 drafts of Paradise Park at Urban South Brewery
- All-day happy hour, all week long, at Pizza Domenica (Uptown location)
- A “That Burger” and glass of wine or beer for just $10 at Warbucks
All teachers need to do is show their school ID or school email signature on their phone.
We hope our teachers will enter these drawings and enjoy the local deals. We also hope they will continue to visit TeachNewOrleans.net. Beyond perusing the year-round discounts, they can read the stories of other educators, learn more about our great city, and examine the latest education statistics. If they don’t yet have a job in New Orleans, or are looking to switch roles, they can peruse our job board or join the more than 400 teachers who have shared their resumes with schools through our “resume drop” page.
Please join us in honoring the work of our teachers, this and every week. They show up for for our students every day, and our city is ready to show up for them.
If you are a business owner and would like to share teacher discounts on our Lagniappe page, please email Shelley@nsno.org.